Thursday, July 23, 2009

Roy Halladay Fantasy Implications

Roy Halladay. 

For what he's worth to almost any MLB team is immeasurable. Recent talks claim the Phillies are still the frontrunner. 

If Halladay goes to the NL, I think his ERA drops at least .3 the rest of the way. And the way that Halladay pitches, that could be dangerous to fantasy competitors. However, the bandbox that the Phillies play in may not be the best spot for him.

Roy Halladay, LAD: Doesn't look right. It's not just being a Giants fan that makes me hate this, but with a staff that I think is not credible enough to win it all in the playoffs, Halladay ensures them that they are just that. Fantasy-wise, being allowed the honor to play in the NL West could be absolutely devastating to competition the rest of the way.

The other two potential suitors are the NL Central foes, the Milwaukee Brewers and St. Louis Cardinals. Reality aside, I think Halladay again gains value by moving to either of these teams, but not such an extreme difference between playing right now in the AL East. The Cardinals would just be filthy though, with Carpenter, Halladay and Wainwright when they make it to the playoffs, but I digress.

Other possible teams are: Texas Rangers, New York Yankees, San Francisco Giants. These teams are noticeably far from having a chance, so I'm not going to put my two cents into these low percentage Halladay owners.

Wherever he goes, he will be a boost to your fantasy roster. Roy Halladay has shown the consistency as a fantasy starter, mainly by going deep into ballgames allowing the chance at more wins on his polished resume.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see you blogging, I'll add this to my list of blogs I check. Anyways, I don't think Halladay goes anywhere. Reports say that the Jays are demanding Kyle Drabek and the Phillies say he's untouchable. Even though Halladay recently rejected a contract extension by the Jays, I think they'll hold off unless they can get something big in return (Drabek from the Phils, Kershaw from the Dodgers, Bumgarmer from the Giants, etc.) otherwise they'll see what they can do in the offseason since they still have Roy for another year.

    --Andy Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, while I don't disagree, someone may be willing to dish it out (although not the Giants, Dodgers or Phils).

    Fact of the matter is that Halladay is too good to waste away in Toronto, and they will be eagerly shopping him in the offseason if they don't find a suitor this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SI was saying this week that the ChiSox should probably go after him hard in the same way they did Peavy, maybe that'll happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I read that article. I'm not sure about him going to the ChiSox. While they are near 1st in their division, I just can't see this team going far, and I think Kenny Williams feels the same way. It's just not allowed for him to say that when his team is near contention.

    ReplyDelete